Thom Rainer attempts to describe how churches can become focussed on their activities to the detriment of mission and ministry.
He has eight points.
- Activities became synonymous with ministry.
- Programs and ministries are added regularly, but few or none are ever deleted.
- Programs and ministries become sacred cows.
- The alignment question is not asked on the front end.
- Silo behavior among the different ministries of the church.
- Lack of an evaluation process.
- Ministry becomes facility-centered.
- Lack of courageous leadership.
You can read his background comments on the points here.