Ron Edmondson lists seven characteristics of growing and effective leaders.
The mission Jesus has given us demands leaders strive into all these areas.
- Humility. Great leaders are willing to surrender “their” way when it’s not the best way. They realize and appreciate the strength of a team.
- Intentionality. Great leaders continue to learn. They have mentors. They read. They continue their education through conferences or school. They know they can’t help others grow if they aren’t personally growing.
- Compassion. Great leaders consider the needs of others ahead of their own. They care about people beyond what people can do for them personally.
- Integrity. Great leaders never separate character from their definition of quality or success. They know there can be nothing of real value if those who are trying to follow can’t give their respect to the leader.
- Passion. Great leaders have the ability to rally a team and articulate the path to victory. They can communicate to spur momentum and garner support.
- Vision. Great leaders see things others can’t see or, for whatever reason failed to pursue. They take people where they need to go, but may be afraid to go on their own.
- Strength. Great leaders have the discipline to follow through on commitments. They weather the storms of time. They are still standing firm when others are dropping out of the race.