Dan Rockwell observes that: “Building an environment of growth is one of leadership’s greatest challenges and opportunities.”
From his post:
Growth requires community. We stagnate and die in isolation. Everyone needs seclusion to refresh and reflect. But growth requires connection.
- Who knowingly participates in your growth?
- Whose growth are you actively encouraging?
- Who knows your growth goals? Whose goals do you know?
- How might you establish and nurture growth-connections between team members?
Growth is a myth in environments that tolerate deceit, backstabbing, malevolence, and hypocrisy. Leaders who tolerate offenses against community – in the name of delivering results – destroy growth and limit results.
- Never tolerate a high performer who destroys community.
- Eliminate hypocrisy by practicing transparency regarding strengths, weaknesses, and development. Teams can’t pull for each other if they don’t know each other’s growth-goals.
- Remove people who work to undermine others.